Welcome

Garfield Township Hall

Garfield Township was organized on October 19, 1886, becoming the twelfth township of Bay County.

Geographic area at time of organization:
Created from the western half of Fraser Township, township north 16, of range 3 east.

Petitioners for the new township were:

  • J.M. Reichard
  • Charles Fischer
  • Fred Schoof
  • J. Lourim
  • Jacob Dardas

The first township election was held April 4, 1887, electing the following officers:

  • Elof Johnson - Supervisor
  • Joseph H. Waldron - Clerk
  • Charles Johnson - Treasurer
  • Erick Erickson, James Potter - School Inspectors

Historical population:

  • 1880: 301 residents
  • 1894: 1,444 residents
  • 1900: 1,656 residents
  • 2000: 1,775 residents

Garfield road was the earliest constructed in the township. Constructed of stone it was durable and contributed to the development of the township's interior. Early post offices were located at Tebo and Crump. The Kawkawlin river extends into the southern portion of the township and was ready supply of water and access to the Saginaw Bay.

Crump, named after Congressman R.O. Crump, became the largest and busiest community in Garfield Township. Many sawmills being located there. The Kawkawlin River and major railroads lines were close by for hauling timber to mills where the wood was shaped and turned into a variety of domestic products. The postoffice opened there in 1898 with William R. Stevens as its first postmaster.

Crump Hotel - Donated by Carie Klumpp
Crump Hotel - Donated by Carie Klumpp.

Garfield Township, Bay County MI © 2014 1138 W. Erickson Road, Linwood, MI 48634, 989-879-2552

This website is for informational purposes only. In the case of any discrepancy between these versions and the official hard copy versions, the official hard copy will prevail. The web version of any of the codes or information may not reflect all of, or the most current, legislation that has been passed.